RS485 BACnet sniffing

How do I send you the log that is out of sync

Hit "Reply" (not "Post quick reply"); the rightmost button on the toolbar is "Upload File". 7-zip it first so that it has the .7z extension permitted by this forum.

Removing the padding gives this trying to load the Analyzer:

Most likely, you just commented out the padding code, but forgot to add a semicolon ; at the end of the statement. In Jancy, just like in C, declarations and expression statements must be terminated with a semicolon.

While using this analyzer should we have been running Settings->Log Engine->Binary Data->Binary Data Merge with a 3msec threshold.

This won't affect the analyzer, but I think it's completely unnecessary now. You will see packets boundaries anyway -- and not just boundaries, decoded header fields, too.

Most likely, you just commented out the padding code, but forgot to add a semicolon ;

Exactly correct as I had missed the '+' on the line above.

Traces look very good now as I will try to move to your latest code. Tried using the upload images(right most icon) to send a 7z zip file but I don't have privileges for it.

Capture.JPG

Tried using the upload images(right most icon) to send a 7z zip file but I don't have privileges for it.

Not "Upload image", "Upload file". Does your "Reply toolbar" have this button?

8537fcf3-5daa-4d0d-8b6e-dd4ba104fe29-image.png

@vladimir That icon does not show on my Firefox. I'll try a different browser.
Capture.JPG

Apparently, this was a permission issue; it doesn't apply to administrators, so I didn't even know it was there...

Anyway, I've adjusted the file upload permissions for registered users; please try again.

@vladimir Sorry for the delay. Upload symbol is there but I get an error that file is too big. The log is 1Mbyte in size. Is there a way to reduce the size once the log is loaded into IO Ninja?

Thanks.

[0_1709752179535_BACnet_38400_heavery_traffic_error_v4.njlog](Uploading 100%)

No prob, I've increased the upload file size limit to 8MB.

Also, you could have archived it with 7z 😉

@vladimir
Here is a log that is working very well until time stamp 9:55:07 +00:46.470 and then the decode stops.

Thanks again for all the help.

BACnet_38400_heavery_traffic_error_v4.7z

Try the updated analyzer:

BacNetMsTp.7z

It checks CRCs now and discards frames with broken headers (in the previous log, the decoder didn't actually stop, but because a broken header specified a very long payload size, it kept buffering data assuming it still was a payload).

Also, when you upload the log, please detach the Analyzer before saving the log. This way, we can access the original raw & unprocessed data (instead of the already decoded frames).

@vladimir Looks really good. I'm going to send this log over to our BACnet stack supplier to see if he has any extra feedback. To me this looks much better than running a 485 to USB connection into WireShark.

Thanks again for all the help. Any chance you could release this into your standard layer plugins?

BACnet_38400_heavery_traffic_error_v5.7z