tdevmon - segmentation fault

Hello Jose,

Yes, ioninja-5.3.0 is out; it's quite a big release. Please try it and let me know what you think of the new form UI!

As for Aarch64 builds -- yeah, we still don't have those, sorry. I remember @bob was working on porting tdevmon to Aarch64, and I extracted and prepared a repo for this project, but I didn't receive any pull requests since, so I guess it didn't quite work out 😞

Making an Aarch64 build for ioninja-hwc should be relatively easy. However, it should be possible to run an ARM build of ioninja-hwc on Aarch64 boxes directly, no?

In any case, I guess, it's time for us to dedicate some actual efforts to the Aarch64 Linux builds of IO Ninja & tdevmon 🙂

Hello Vladimir,
The problem is that it seems that it is not possible to run the 32 bit version on the box if the linux version is 64 bits.
For example, the Arch Arm SO for Raspberry 4 is available in 32 and 64 bits. So I could run ioninja-hwc if the SO is the 32 bits version, but it does not run in the 64 bit SO version. The problem is that for other boxes (eg, I am testing a Rock64) there is only available the 64 bits version of ArchArmLinux SO... An it seems that it is difficult to find 32 bits SO for ARMv8 plataforms. I tried to find an alternative to ArchArm for this Rock64 SBC, and look into AOSC and Armbian, but I think that they are also 64 bits versions.
The reason I am using a Rock64 is basically availability, I tried to find Raspberries, but they are out of stock.
Regards!

ops... when I wrote "SO" I meant "OS" ("linux")... I'm a bit dyslexic (and I my language so it goes this acronym), and I did it really quickly

Understood. We will try to add Aarch64 builds in the near future.

@vladimir 👍 thank you!

Hello again Jose!

It took me a while to address the write protection removal issue on aarch64, but I finally got tdevmon working on aarch64; there's also an experimental build of IO Ninja for aarch64. Would you be willing to test those? Which is the most important module for you, ioninja-hwc or tdevmon?

Hello Vladimir!
Thank you! Of course, I will be glad to test them!
For me, it is more important the ioninja-hwc, as what I want to do is deploy a device with a serial tap attached to it.
Regards

Hello Vladimir,
I've done a quick tests.
ioninja-hwc: I have tested it with a (1) serial-tap, and it worked ok.
tdevmon: I found one error compiling the kernel module. It gave a "incompatible-pointer-type" error. The same kind we saw before, in this same email chain, perhaps it is something related.

Clipboard 3.png

(I've checked that the linux-headers and the kernel version match)
Clipboard 4.png

Just fyi, also I tried the "GUI" ioninja, and it gave me an error when "JITting", e.g., going to use the "serial tap" plug-in... but perhaps it is normal and expected, as we have just been talking about the "ioninja-hwc" (and "tdevmon")

Clipboard 1.png
Clipboard 2.png

Regards!

Hmm. Everything is working well on the fully updated Raspbian Aarch64; I installed ArchLinux ARM Aarch64 -- and everything fails there the same way you describe. Fixing the compilation error for tdevmon was easy, but that didn't quite cut it -- it looks like write protection removal needs extra polishing for the newer kernels.

Ok! Do not worry! In the mean time, if I need it, I would -with some care- use the ioninja-hwc as it seems to work well. If I found anything unexpected, I will let you know. Regards and thank you!

tdevmon should now build and work on new Aarch64 kernels -- with or without huge page support (ArchLinux kernel is built with it, Raspbian -- without).

Please try it and let me know:

https://tibbo.com/downloads/archive/tdevmon/tdevmon-3.3.11/tdevmon-3.3.11-linux-arm64.tar.xz

Re ioninja-hwc -- I wouldn't expect issues on Aarch64; it's a simple console app that does no platform-specific trickery.

A new internal build of IO Ninja for Aarch64 is up:

https://tibbo.com/downloads/archive/ioninja/.internal/prerelease/ioninja-5.3.1-b-linux-arm64.deb
https://tibbo.com/downloads/archive/ioninja/.internal/prerelease/ioninja-5.3.1-b-linux-arm64.tar.xz

Tried it on the latest ArchLinux -- it's working now.

Let me know if you notice any issues.

Hello Vladimir!,
I was going to tell you that I had tried the tdevmon and everything went smoothly: it builds ok, I was able to install the kernel module and the program works perfectly capturing data from the serial device.
And, then I found that you have already prepared the ioninja "main" program. I have quickly tried, and I found no problem 🙂
Thank you very much!
also, FYI, as I commented, I did this on a Rock64 plataform, with Arch Linux Arm. Eventually (soon), I will also tried it on a Raspberry. If I find any issue, I will tell you.
Regards, and thank you again!